Household Sewage Treatment

The Environmental Division of the Meigs County Health Department oversees the installation, alteration and/or the operation of sewage treatment systems in Meigs County. These systems are normally referred to as HSTS (household sewage treatment systems) and SFSTS (small-flow sewage treatment systems). The department also registers all installers, service providers and septic tank cleaners.

Grant money is available to assist homeowners with the costs of replacing or making repairs to a failing system. Up to 100% cost coverage, based on income. Click here to view and download application.   Return completed applications to the health department for consideration. For more information call 740-992-6626. *Note-this grant can only be used to replace or repair an existing system.

NEED A NEW SYSTEM? Use the following links to get the process started or just find out more information.

Site Review Application This is the first step to installing a new or replacement home sewage treatment system, or small flow system. Fill out the form and return it to the Department.

Soil Scientists Once the Site Review is complete, you’ll need to contact a soil scientist to schedule the soil tests. They will return the results to both you and us. This information is needed to design the system.

2018 Septage Installers  After the design is done and the permit is purchased you have one year to install the system. Installers must be registered with the MCHD.

KEEP IT WORKING PROPERLY WITH ROUTINE MAINTENANCE: The following links can help you keep your system functioning properly.

Homeowner Onsite Sewage System Maintenance

Homeowner’s Guide to Septic Systems

2018 Septage Haulers– Pumping is recommended every 3-5 years

2018 Service Providers– For when you have bigger issues than routine maintenance can solve. Note: Owners of aeration systems installed after 2015 are required to have a service contract with a service provider at all times.

WOULD YOU LIKE TO BECOME A REGISTERED INSTALLER, HAULER OR SERVICE PROVIDER? Click on, and print the appropriate application then return to Health Department.

Septage Installer Application 

Septage Hauler Application

Septage Service Provider Application


Sewage Treatment Regulations
NPDES Permits (Required for all new discharging septic systems)



*Meigs County Health Department does not endorse or recommend any product, service, or company provided on this website.