Meet the new Meigs County Board of Health
Meet the new Meigs County Board of Health: (l-r, seated) Dr. Wilma Mansfield; member, Roger Gaul; president, Edna Weber; vice-president, (standing, l-r) Pam Patterson, member; Eric Rock, member.
MCHD Observes National Public Health Week
The Meigs County Health Department (MCHD) observed NPHW by recognizing all its 17 employees and Board of Health (BOH) members for their dedication and hard work during a catered luncheon on April 5th. Those specifically honored for service milestones (5, 10, 15 or more years of service to the department) are as follows:
- Former BOH Member Gene Jeffers, who served multiple consecutive terms from 1979-2017
- Former BOH Medical Member James Witherell, who served the Health Department and BOH in various capacities from 1979-2017
- Current Employees Courtney Midkiff 18 years; Leanne Cunningham 14 years; Sherry Hayman and Frank Gorscak 13 years; Steve Swatzel 10 years; Sherry Eagle 8 years; Juli Simpson 5 years
Jeffers and Witherell were presented with commemorative plaques and specially recognized employees were honored with lapel pins.
Cribs for Kids
Did you know that 3 infants die in Ohio each week in sleep-related incidents? The Meigs County Health Department partners with Cribs for Kids® to provide pack ‘n plays for infants who don’t have a safe place to sleep. If you know of anyone who needs this service, please have them call the health department at 740-992-6626. Guidelines are: Meigs County resident, infant under 12 months (or mom in 3rd trimester), no crib or safe place in which to sleep, eligible to receive WIC (doesn’t have to be on WIC). **Please share**
Flu Shot Schedule
The Meigs County Health Dept. (MCHD) will administer flu shots on Tuesdays from 9-11AM and 1-3PM beginning Sept. 27th at its offices. Other weekdays require appointments.
Our Mission Statement:
Protecting the public’s health by working to assure availability of, and access to quality health care services; promoting individual and community responsibility for the prevention of disease, injury, and disability, by providing preventive health care, education and environmental safety, to all members of the community.
EVZIO Auto-Injector Naloxone Kit
The MCHD Announces the availability of the new EVZIO Auto-Injector Naloxone Kit to be used in the case of a suspected opioid overdose.
The Meigs County Health Department is now offering the EVZIO Auto-Injector (injectable Naloxone) effective December 2016. The EVZIO Kit replaces the former Project DAWN Kits (nasal Naloxone) that the department has offered for over a year. The EVZIO Auto-Injector offers Naloxone by injection, much like an Epi Pen. Trained individuals receive a EVZIO Auto-Injector kit that contains the medication, along with education of other lifesaving measures, such as rescue breathing, to be used in the event of a suspected opioid overdose,.
We currently have 100 kits in stock, and those kits are FREE to community members who have an interest and are willing to come to the Health Department to be trained to use them. Training takes less than one hour and can be done on an individual basis or as a group.
Please call Sherry Hayman, RN, at 740-992-6626 Ext. 1036 to set up an appointment.
NEEDLE KNOW HOW
This website has been constructed to educate the public about proper needle disposal. The goal is to prevent, promote, and protect. Our hopes with this webpage and campaign are to educate the public in order to prevent accidental needle sticks. (Click on the link below.)
Insurance for Vaccines
The Meigs County Health Department uses Vaxcare to supply vaccines for adults and children aged birth through 18 who have commercial insurance coverage.
- Menactra Vaccine Availability August 16, 2016 - Meigs-Health has no Meningitis A (Menactra) available for those with Medicaid or No Insurance ... Read more »
- Nursing Services week of 8/14/2016 August 16, 2016 - There will be NO NURSING SERVICES available on Wednesday, August 17, 2017. We are ... Read more »
- Flood Cleanup Kits Available July 20, 2016 - Flood Cleanup Kits are available at the Meigs Cooperative Parish in the Mulberry Community ... Read more »
- Funding News July 11, 2016 - The Meigs County Health Department has made the very tough decision to NOT APPLY ... Read more »
- Shingles Immunizations June 1, 2016 - Meigs County Health Department has Zostavax vaccine to prevent herpes zoster (shingles). Each Tuesday ... Read more »